Results and Resources
The Green Building Research Laboratory houses extensive facilities for both fundamental research and applied measurements in support of the green building industry (see facilities page). The GBRL also creates and disseminates reports and software for use in green building research and practice. This page will host these resources and provide links as appropriate to external sources for useful information on selected topics.
Research Summaries (1-page summaries of published GBRL research):
- Effect of Sustainable Roofing Alternatives on Urban Climate - SR1101
- Effect of Green Roof Design Decisions on Building Energy across 4 Climates - SR1102
- Phase Change Materials as Thermal Storage for High Performance Homes - SR1103
- Review of Methods for Estimating Anthropogenic Heat and Moisture Emissions - SR1104
A Green Roof Energy Calculator has been developed for the USGBC. See CALCULATOR.
In a prior study (~2005) for the US EPA we created the Urban Heat Island Mitigation Impact Screening Tool -- MIST. We are in the early stages of planning an update to this tool which will better integrate regional (mesoscale) and neighborhood/canopy scale phenomena (stay tuned). The original MIST is located at: MIST
Urban morphology and surface properties play an important role in the formation of the urban heat island. This time-lapse image of downtown Portland illustrates the diurnal evolution of building envelope surface temperatures.
The Green Building Research Laboratory has been supported with funds from the PSU Center for Sustainable Processes and Practices and from Oregon BEST. The GBRL also provides resources for and participates in externally funded research projects including recent projects funded by the NSF and USGBC.
The GBRL has worked with, provided services to, or received donations of materials for its green building materials testing program from the following:
- Alpine Glass
- AMS (AXIS)
- Beaverton School District (Southridge HS)
- Cardinal Glass, MN
- Energy Trust of Oregon
- GreenEarth LLC (GreenWool insulation)
- Indow Windows
- Lexis Coatings
- LifetimeWindows & Doors
- MCA Superior Clay Roof Tiles
- Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (NEEA)
- Oregon Shepherd
- PAE Consulting
- Phase Change Energy
- Pro Gro Mixes
- Sera Architects
- Swiss Cell
- Valspar Paint and Coatings